There have been numerous civilizations that have left their fingerprints in this locality, probably because of the geographical situation on the coast: Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians and Romans.
Chipiona owes its denomination to the Roman civilization. This civilization is undoubtedly the one that more has influenced the history of the locality. In 140 BC, the Consul “Quinto Servilius Caepión” ordered the construction a lighthouse which was known as “Caepionis Turris”. Traditionally it was thought that the name of Chipiona derives from the name of this lighthouse.
In the 5th Century Chipiona falls into the hands of the Goths, and from 711, after the Muslim conquest, we reach a stage in which a lot of historical information is lost or unknown.
Fernando III, " The Saint " conquered the town in 1251, and later it was taken by Alfonso X "El Sabio", who conquers and repopulates Cádiz in 1262, and who begun the constructions of Catholic Churches on Mosques or Arabic buildings, destroying the first ones and using their walls or props as the supports for the new buildings.
The first Master of Chipiona was D. Alonso Perez de Guzmán "The Good One ". He lived during the reign of Sancho IV and his son Fernando IV. When one of his daughters, Isabel Pérez de Guzmán married the Count of Arcos, the dowry was the towns of Rota and Chipiona.
The day on the 1st of November 1755 the town was flooded by the water from the sea due to the famous earthquake of Lisbon that was felt off the Atlantic coast.
At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th Centuries we note two personages of indisputable importance: Father Lerchundi and Doctor Tolosa Latour. The Franciscan priest founded in Chipiona a Missionary School for the North of Africa and started the project of the new temple in “Regla”. The scientist chose Chipiona as a place to construct the first Marine Sanatorium of Spain, the Sanatorium “Santa Clara” (see illustrious personages)
(see illustrious peoples).